Saturday, March 21, 2009

As Effortlessly As Rain




I sit remembering the girl I was;
small, spindly, speck my Father spawned,
and tears fall as effortlessly as rain.
Not from a roof of regret,
but a canopy of trust.

She took the road less traveled to be sure.
Where two paths converged
She always followed the song bird
singing from trees
where beneath few feet had trod.

I sit remembering the girl I was;
a fleeing, seeking cloud of a child,
a tiny tornado of dust blowing wild
forward movement on the breath
of some great angst and destruction.

I sit remembering the girl I was
with the perspective of aging and its
gifts of so called wisdom;
You know there is absolutely nothing
that doesn’t have a flip side,
Nothing.
There is no positive that can’t turn negative
with the errant flip of a coin.
There is no negative,
None
that can’t set the stage for immense good.
In the end we see it is all of our choosing.

My Mother never knew the gem she birthed
because it had not been polished by the years
before she faded....
I remember her and I remember the girl
encrusted in a shell constructed of layers
of generational pain, gestating a pearl.
A holy stone tucked against a rock of faith
beneath a sea of uncertainty......
And tears fall as effortlessly as rain.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beatrice V said...

This is, as usual, beautiful and insightful, Pam. I love it.

March 24, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home